Man charged for illegally selling ammunition to Las Vegas shooter

Katrina Barker
February 4, 2018

An Arizona man who sold ammunition to the gunman who carried out the deadliest mass shooting in modern USA history was charged Friday with manufacturing armor-piercing bullets, according to court documents.

The complaint filed Friday in federal court in Nevada says Haig didn't have a license to manufacture armor-piercing ammunition, which is required to manufacturer or sell such ammunition by USA law.

Investigators said they found a box of ammunition in Paddock's hotel room that had 55-year-old Douglas Haig's contact information on it. Haig told investigators he was unclear if he had met Paddock, but then searched through his records, and recalled that he had met him at the Phoenix gun show September 9.

Haig maintained that he had made "no contribution" to the killings since investigators found tracer rounds were not used in the attack.

Haig, an aerospace engineer and part-time ammunition reseller, said he sold 720 rounds of surplus U.S. military tracer ammunition to Paddock at his Mesa home in September after Paddock approached him at a Phoenix gun show. "At no time did I see anything suspicious or odd or any kind of a tell".

The gunman, Stephen Paddock, who strafed a crowd of concert-goers from his high-rise hotel suite, killed himself as police closed in on his room.

Mr Haig said he was shocked and sickened when a federal agent informed him of the massacre 11 hours after it unfolded.

It said Haig previously ran an internet business, called Specialized Military Ammunition, selling armour-piercing bullets - some consisting of high-explosive and incendiary rounds - throughout the United States, but lacked a licence to manufacture such ammunition.

Victor also said he does not expect to seek legal recourse with the Nevada court that released Haig's name to the Las Vegas Review-Journal - a move Haig said has changed his life "quite a bit".

Neither Haig nor his lawyer could be reached for immediate comment after news of the criminal case broke Friday afternoon.

"The reason he opts to speak to the press today is basically to protect his reputation", Haig's lawyer said.

The Mesa, Ariz., resident also recounted receiving several death threats over the phone and in person at his home in recent days.

The only other person of interest named in search warrants was Paddock's girlfriend, Marilou Danley.

That's something that Haig said shouldn't have even happened.

"He said that he was going to the desert and put on a light, either with or for his friends", said Haig.

Haig said nothing out of the ordinary occurred during the brief transaction.

"He pulled up very well dressed, very well groomed, very polite, respectful", Haig said when describing his interactions with Paddock. "I'm a vendor, merchant, whose name was released". Now he's not sure he will ever get back into the business.

Other reports by AllAboutTopnews

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER