Federal Bureau of Investigation hunt for missing four-year-old girl in SC

Katrina Barker
February 17, 2018

An affidavit filed in the case of a missing 4-year-old SC girl shows the child's mother was attacked in her home and apparently tied up before police found her while making a welfare check. Interim Police Chief Jerome Taylor said an "unwelcome guest" was at the Todd home, but couldn't characterize the incident as a burglary. "What could have been a day of real tragedy has turned out to be a day of great joy", he said.

He was depicted with an elaborate a flame tattoo on one side of his face and a lightning bolt on the other cheek. Prosecutor Scarlett Wilson said Evans has been charged with kidnapping and that she expected to file more charges.

Heidi's father is a member of the U.S. Coast Guard and was out of town on a training exercise at the time of the attack, Tecklenburg said, adding the father has since returned home.

He said it was reported there was a man unconscious in the vehicle with a child. "She is considered medical to be in fair condition", Charleston Mayor John Tecklenburg told reporters Wednesday afternoon.

The mayor said he had visited with the Todds at the hospital, and he described them as a wonderful family.

Investigators said they have searched a pond near the Todds' home and have found no sign of Heidi.

The child was confirmed to be Heidi Todd.

"The important thing is that we have the child", Kurzejeski said.

A $20,000 reward had been offered in the case: half of the money came from the Federal Bureau of Investigation, while the other was a private donor who wanted to remain anonymous. Searchers combed the area until 3 a.m., then resumed the search at daylight.

Police tape was seen on Sweetleaf Lane surrounding multiple homes. Two divers entered the water at approximately 10:19 a.m. Police also used sonar in the lake, which neighbors say is approximately eight to 12 feet deep.

Evans handed Heidi over to officials but managed to drive away, leading law enforcement on a trans-state chase, which finally ended with his arrest in Dekalb, Mississippi, several hours later. The chief arrived, and initiated a conversation with the driver who explained that they were coming from SC.

Other reports by AllAboutTopnews

Discuss This Article