Apple AirPod exploded during a workout

Lena Tucker
February 11, 2018

He wisely chose to remove both the buds and place them on some gym equipment before finding some help. When he came back, Colon says, one of the pods had ruptured and was a charred mess.

Jason Colon, from Tampa, ran to get help after he noticed the white smoke billowing from the device. It stands to reason that, like any other rechargeable battery, those units could be damaged or defective in a way that could cause them to rupture.

Thankfully, he reacted as soon as he sensed something was wrong.

'I don't know what would've happened to my ear but I'm sure since it hangs down, [my] ear lobe could've been burnt'. "It was already popped", said Colon.

'I didn't see it happen, but I mean, it was already fried!

"That's the craziest thing I ever went through". "You can see flame damage", he told WFLA.

This isn't the first case of a popular product bursting into flames.

Such reports have continued to plague Samsung, which first issued a voluntary recall of its Galaxy Note 7 phones because of a "battery issue" on September 2, offering to give replacement phones to customers who had bought the devices. A similar incident occurred in Australia when a battery inside a pair of wireless headphones exploded during a flight, and of course, there was the saga around the ill-fated Samsung Galaxy Note 7. When he returned, he was shocked to find the right headphone had shattered, he said. Apple has reportedly reached out to Colon to figure out what happened and will likely issue a public statement in the not-too-distant future.

Other reports by AllAboutTopnews

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER