Man dies in freak accident at Mumbai hospital's MRI room

Katrina Barker
January 30, 2018

A case was registered at the Agripada Police Station under Section 304A (causing death by negligence) of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) against three persons, including a doctor, for various offences, including Dr Siddharth Shah, ward boy Vitthal Chavan and female ward attendant Sunita Surve. All of them have been arrested and would be produced in the court on Monday.

Maru, who was working as a salesman at a garment shop, had gone to Nair hospital to look up his sister's mother-in-law, Laxmibai Solanki, who was admitted in the ICU since January 26 for viral fever. This caused Maru to be thrust towards it, causing the oxygen tank to rupture and leak.

Talking to this newspaper, the deceased's uncle Jaysingh Maru said, "As Laxmiben was on oxygen, the technician-cum-ward boy present inside the MRI ward, told him to carry the oxygen cylinder inside the MRI scan room due to which Maru died".

The one thing that you need to know about an MRI machine is that no metal is allowed inside the room in which it's housed, as it will get sucked into the machine by the powerful magnets. "How can the hospital be so careless?" "I never talked about it because it is painful to recount", said Ramaiah, who was offered Rs1-crore compensation by manufacturers of the machine.

"The BMC administration has set up a committee, headed by deputy municipal commissioner".

The hospital's dean, Dr Ramesh Bharmal, said they are conducting an inquiry into the incident. We are not sure how he went so close. For instance, in 2001, a six-year-old child undergoing an MRI scan in NY was killed when a metal oxygen tank in the same room flew towards the machine and smashed against his skull. "It looks like Rajesh wanted to help the ward boy thinking he should carry the cylinder inside unaware of the warnings". Iron materials are not allowed inside the MRI room and in this case gas cylinder was taken inside the MRI room.

The Mumbai civic body will be probing the death of a 32-year-old man Rajesh Maru who has lost his life after he inhaled excessive oxygen. Our staff quickly switched off the MRI button. He was freed and taken to the emergency room in 10 minutes but pronounced dead on arrival. There are boards and signs put up that say you can not carry metal inside.

Other reports by AllAboutTopnews

Discuss This Article