Four gunmen attack Kabul's Intercontinental Hotel, no details of casualties yet

Nick Sanchez
January 21, 2018

A group of three or four gunmen are attacking the Intercontinental Hotel in the Afghan capital Kabul and exchanging fire with security forces, an interior ministry spokesman says.

The hotel, located on a hilltop and heavily protected like most public buildings in the city, was previously attacked by Taliban fighters in 2011.

The fourth floor of the hotel is also on fire, the NDS said.

Sources claimed that the hotel witnessed heavy gunfire.

"I don't know if the attackers are inside the hotel but I can hear gunfire from somewhere near the first floor", the man, who did not want to be named, said by telephone.

At least 10 people had been reported dead at after up to four gunmen and four suicide bombers had forced their way into the hotel.

However Nasrat Rahimi, another interior ministry spokesman, said several people had been killed and at least six wounded. "Afghan National Defense and Security Forces are leading the response efforts".

The attack comes just days after the U.S. embassy in Kabul issued a warning about hotels in the city, saying it was aware of planned attacks by extremist groups. "According to initial reports, no Resolute Support or (US forces) members were injured in this incident", he said in an emailed statement.

Security at the Intercontinental, which is not part of the global InterContinental chain, is relatively lax compared with other luxury hotels in Kabul. The Department said it had received reports of "extremist groups" planning a hotel attack in the capital, "such as [on] the Hotel Baron near Hamid Karzai Int'l Airport".

The attackers appeared to include suicide bombers, Mr Danish was quoted as saying by Reuters.

Other reports by AllAboutTopnews

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER