False missile alert in Hawaii triggers heart attack in 51-year-old

Randall Padilla
January 19, 2018

Japan's national broadcaster NHK has issued an apology after sending out a false alert claiming North Korea had launched a ballistic missile. Because of the current assumption that everyone is glued to cellphones, it was over half an hour before many terrified people, majority frantically seeking some kind of shelter, would have been able to receive some authoritative word that there was no need for panic.

The employee who mistakenly sent the missile alert has been temporarily reassigned.

Since Saturday afternoon, Miyagi confirmed that Hi-EMA will now require a two-person verification to send alerts and launch real missile alerts.

The Hawaii Emergency Management Agency sent the emergency alerts warning as text messages to tens of thousands of cellphones at about 8:07 Saturday morning.

Brenda Reichel, left, said her boyfriend, Sean Shields, right, suffered a massive heart attack Saturday after residents were falsely told a ballistic missile was headed toward the state. "SEEK IMMEDIATE SHELTER. THIS IS NOT A DRILL", the alert read.

Police were notified within minutes that the alarm was false, but city officials waited for state officials to issue the correction, as protocol instructed them to do.

Hawaii Civil Beat reports on the many problems at the Hawaii Emergency management. NHK retracted the mistake in five minutes, first on the internet, and then apologized on air and other formats.

Maybe by being forced - even through a false alarm - to contemplate the bitter end, we can begin to see a way to craft a new beginning.

Signal carriers allow people to block alerts from state and law enforcement agencies, but not those issued by the president. If it's noon on the second Wednesday of the month - yes, Wednesday; the Emergency Management Agency changed the testing day this month - and the siren sounds for three minutes, we should know that it's simply a test.

The FBI's Strategic Information and Operations Center, Department of Homeland Security and Federal Emergency Management Agency are monitoring the situation, a USA official told CNN. It was not sent until 38 minutes after the initial alert.

"This had the potential for being totally catastrophic", Hirono said.

The Emergency Management Agency was unreachable.

The option is also visible in a slightly different mockup of the system that HIEMA provided to BuzzFeed News Tuesday.

Other reports by AllAboutTopnews

Discuss This Article