False alarm of incoming missile goes out in Hawaii

Katrina Barker
January 14, 2018

A message warning Hawaii residents to seek shelter due to the imminent threat of a ballistic missile on Saturday morning was a false alarm, officials said.

The message, issued to mobile phones on Saturday morning, read in block capitals: "Ballistic missile threat inbound to Hawaii". When the alert came, she said, she piled her mother, 15-year-old son, two-year-old daughter and partner into the auto, swung by her other son's workplace to pick him up, and then sped to her office at the botanical gardens - a building with concrete walls that is used as a hurricane shelter. "Repeat. False Alarm." Nearly 40 minutes has passed since the state sent the initial alert to cellular phones.

Richard Ing, a Honolulu attorney, is photographed as he joked it was probably someone's last day on the job when Hawaii emergency management officials mistakenly sent an alert that a ballistic missile was inbound to Hawaii. Pacific Command has assured the public that they have "detected no ballistic missile threat to Hawaii".

Brian Schatz, a USA senator from Hawaii, shared his anger on Twitter, writing that "the whole state was terrified". "Earlier message was sent in error and was a false alarm".

But the incorrect alert, the length of time it took to officially correct that alert, and whether federal, state and local authorities would be prepared in the event of a real missile threat has members of Congress and other government officials demanding answers and change. But officials soon confirmed that it was a false alarm.

The clearest explanation we've received so far is that this was "human error" and that the state was in the midst of conducting a drill when the error was made. "There is nothing more critical to Hawaii than professionalizing and trick sealing this procedure".

Sen. Brian Schatz of Hawaii wrote on Twitter that "the whole state was terrified".

"This system we have been told to rely upon failed and failed miserably today", Saiki said.

Many people who were in Hawaii or have loved ones now in the USA state shared their harrowing ordeals on social media. She included a screen grab of the false alarm. He apologized and said he would make sure this can never happen again. There is NO threat to the State of Hawaii! CNN reported that Governor David Ige said it was sent when an employee pushed the wrong button during a shift change.

Other reports by AllAboutTopnews

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER