$70 Million Reward on Offer In Hunt for Missing MH370 Jet

Katrina Barker
January 13, 2018

A US -based company that recently embarked on a new search mission for the missing Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 could earn up to $70 million if the crucial wreckage is found within three months, Malaysian officials said Wednesday.

Channel NewsAsia understands that Malaysia has agreed to pay the U.S. firm according to a tier system on a "no cure, no fee" basis, starting at US$20 million if the plane is found within the first 5,000 sq km.

Support for a memorial site in Perth for the victims of missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 has all but collapsed among the relatives of the 239 passengers and crew.

Its priority is to locate the wreckage or the flight and cockpit recorders, and present credible evidence to confirm their location within 90 days, Liow added. Last month the former US pilot, who has assisted the US National Transportation Safety Board on air-crash investigations, reiterated his conviction that the pilot ditched MH370.

"Ocean Infinity said the vessel was taking advantage of favourable weather to move toward 'the vicinity of the possible search zone".

Some debris definitively linked to the plane has been found, but for the most part its whereabouts remain unknown.

The plan envisaged recovery operations of up to 30 days at a time co-ordinated by the ATSB in consultation with other agencies and the governments of Malaysia, China and Australia.

Now a private company, Ocean Infinity, based in Houston, Texas, has offered to take up the search, and Malaysia has agreed.

But a new analysis of the likely flight path suggests the plane may have crashed north of the zone where previous search operations were conducted.

According to a "no-find, no-fee" contract awarded to the seabed exploration firm, Ocean Infinity, the latter will receive up to 70 million dollars if successful.

A new search for the wreckage of MH370, which disappeared over the southern Indian Ocean in March 2014, is due to start in the middle of January.

"We are grateful the Malaysian government is resuming the search for MH370", said VPR Nathan, whose wife Anne Daisy was on the plane.

After almost three years of combing 120,000 sq km of ocean floor without success, the Malaysian, Chinese and Australian governments in January last year made a decision to suspend the search until "credible new information" becomes available.

The plane is thought to have been diverted thousands of kilometres off course over the southern Indian Ocean, before crashing off the coast of Western Australia.

"The ability to operate untethered independent missions allows the AUVs to go deeper and collect higher quality data, making this technology ideal for the search", the Ocean Infinity press release states.

Other reports by AllAboutTopnews

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER