Kabul Blast Targeted Shiites In Afghanistan, Also Creates Safety Concerns For Journalists

Katrina Barker
December 29, 2017

"The United States stands firmly with the government and people of Afghanistan and will work closely with the National Unity Government to bring the perpetrators of this heinous attack to justice", said White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders.

The statement was made after a double suicide attack hit Kabul earlier in the day, claiming the lives of 41 people and injuring 84 more: one took place near the Sada-i-Afghan (Afghan Voice) news agency and the other reportedly hit a cultural center.

"A ceremony was being held to mark the 38th anniversary of Soviet-invasion in Afghanistan when the explosion went off", deputy interior ministry spokesman Nasrat Rahimi told AFP.

Afghan Voice - is the latest of a series of media organisations targeted by bomb attacks in the country.

In the past, Islamic State loyalists have singled out Shiites for attack, and the group claimed to be behind an attack last month on another news organization in Kabul, Shamshad TV.

According to officials, women, children and journalists are among the dead. An initial blast at the entrance to the compound housing the two offices was followed by two more explosions inside the offices.

More broadly, the Afghan capital has come under attack several times in 2017.

President Ashraf Ghani's spokesman issued a statement calling the attack an "unpardonable" crime against humanity and pledging to destroy terrorist groups, Reuters reported.

It also said that at least 13 journalists and media personnel were killed previous year while the number was four in 2015.

Other reports by AllAboutTopnews

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER