Saudi-led blockade could 'starve and kill' millions in Yemen

Katrina Barker
November 13, 2017

Yemen's armed Houthi movement said on Sunday it could attack warships and oil tankers from enemy countries in retaliation against the closure of Yemeni ports by a Saudi-led military coalition last week.

The United Nations and more than 20 aid groups said on November 9 that the Saudi-led coalition's tightening of a blockade on war-torn Yemen could bring millions of people closer to "starvation and death".

The move came after Saudi Arabia intercepted a missile fired towards Riyadh, which it blamed on Tehran.

The Huthi rebel media outlet Al-Masirah also reported the two air strikes.

Concerned by the rise of the rebels, who are allegedly backed by Iran, Saudi Arabia and a coalition of Sunni Arab states launched a massive air campaign in 2015 aimed at reinstalling President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi's government.

Yemen's defenseless people have been under massive attacks by the Saudi-led coalition for more than two and half years but Riyadh has reached none of its objectives in Yemen so far.

Should Monday's blockade - that saw the coalition force the closure of all of Yemen's borders - continue, says the United Nations, it would bring millions of people closer to "starvation and death".

The Saudi-led coalition has said aid workers and supplies would continue to be able to access Yemen despite the closure of its ports, but aid agencies say they have not been able to get through and have warned of starvation and a health catastrophe. "We can do anything", he said, adding that it was the Houthis' "legitimate right" to do so.

Yemen's Houthi rebels have claimed responsibility for firing the ballistic missile.

The Yemeni government-held southern port of Aden reopened on Wednesday, but ports in Houthi-held areas are still closed.

Other reports by AllAboutTopnews

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER