John Kelly's personal phone was reportedly compromised for months

Katrina Barker
October 7, 2017

White House officials believe that the personal cell phone of President Donald Trump's chief of staff John Kelly was compromised, Politico reported late Thursday.

He became White House chief of staff in July. However, it is not clear how much data was accessed, exactly when the hack took place and if the hackers have been able to breach cell phones used by other White House staffers.

Politico reported Thursday that "three US government officials" believed Kelly's phone was breached, possibly by hackers or foreign governments - and giving them access to critical data. White House staff have have been known to regularly use personal devices and email addresses for official business, a practice former chief of staff Reince Priebus tried to stamp out by asking aides to store personal phones in secure lockers while at work. This person said Kelly relied on his government-issued phone for most communications.

Tech support staff discovered the suspected breach after Kelly turned his phone in to White House tech support this summer complaining that it wasn't working or updating software properly. It's unclear how, where, and when Kelly's phone was compromised and what, if any, data was accessed.

Sam Kassoumeh, the CEO of SecurityScorecard, a security intelligence company, said that Android phones can carry the risk of being vulnerable to hackers, according to Wired.

This is not the first time security concerns have been raised within the Trump administration.

While it isn't confirmed what phone Kelly was using that had been breached by the state-sponsored hackers, Kelly has been seen using iPhone on several occasions.

The official reportedly did not dispute the Politico report.

Other reports by AllAboutTopnews

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER