Ezekiel Elliott's Suspension Back On After Court Ruling

Jonathan Hernandez
October 14, 2017

Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones called Thursday's court decision that reinstated Ezekiel Elliott's six-game suspension a "setback" and said the team will continue to support their running back as he considers his legal options. At the time the NFLPA filed the complaint, it was possible the arbitrator could have issued a final decision that was favorable to Elliott.

But due to the collective bargaining agreement, the National Football League believes it doesn't need a conviction to punish a player.

Dallas Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliott will have to serve his six-game suspension after all.

"That's their argument for why there is irreparable harm, and why this thing should be stayed as the case plays out in the higher courts".

If Elliott's legal team can't put the suspension on hold again, it will begin October 22 at San Francisco. They said that there was conflicting evidence. In its ruling, the 5th Circuit agreed with league attorneys who argued that Elliott prematurely sued the league September 1.

The Cowboys now have former Oakland Raider Darren McFadden, former Washington Redskin Alfred Morris, and former Ohio State Buckeye and three-year pro Rod Smith sitting behind Elliott on the depth chart.

"The District Court, therefore, lacked subject matter jurisdiction when it issued the preliminary injunction". The NFL filed in that federal court after Elliott's appeal through the league was denied by Henderson last month. Instead, he could begin serving his six-game suspension stemming from domestic violence allegations his ex-girlfriend made against him in 2016.

While Elliott was not arrested or charged by prosecutors, the National Football League cited statements from Elliott's former girlfriend and photos that showed injuries Elliott allegedly inflicted in July 2016 for the basis for his suspension.

Other reports by AllAboutTopnews

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER