Victoria man in Barcelona tweets about walking Las Ramblas today

Nick Sanchez
August 18, 2017

La Vanguardia newspaper reported that one of the suspected attackers has been killed in a shootout with police on the outskirts of the city. He said the United States would never relent in tracking down terrorist suspects and holding them to account for their actions.

The bomb squad is on the scene. Attacks using vehicles have been carried out in multiple countries. He was the first to be arrested. If the involvement of militants is confirmed, it would be the latest in a string of attacks in the past 13 months in which they have used vehicles to bring carnage to the streets of European cities.

Barcelona resident Keith Fleming says he was watching television in his building on a side street just off Las Ramblas when he heard a noise and went out to the balcony to investigate.

Eyewitnesses said the van was travelling at speeds of up to 80km/h when it mounted the footpath.

Mobile phone footage showed several bodies strewn along the Ramblas, some motionless.

Eye witnesses reported seeing a white van collide with pedestrians on the street, which is a popular tourist destination.

"We can only confirm one death and 32 injured, some seriously, so unfortunately the number of fatalities will likely rise", Joaquim Forn, the regional interior chief who is in charge of the police, told reporters Thursday evening. Las Ramblas is a well-known pedestrian walkway that leads into Placa Catalunya.

Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy said on Twitter he was en route to Barcelona. Priority: "tend to the injured in Las Ramblas and facilitate the work of security forces".

Barcelona Mayor Ada Colau says a moment of silence will be held in the city's main square at noon Friday "to show that we are not scared and we are more united that ever".

Sticchi ran to her house, as stores drew their shutters all around her. "People were running everywhere, and no one understood what was going on", she said, "and I started hearing ambulances".

"Police were there very, very quickly, police officers with guns, baton everywhere, " he said.

The attack killed 13 and injured more than 100 others. Police were still looking for the driver of the van after he fled on foot following the attack, according to BBC.com.

"The Ramblas is full of pedestrians, street merchants, street performers, and I saw people flying into the air and everyone was running into the shops on either side of the Ramblas, a lot of people were shocked".

Earlier in May, the USA issued a new terror alert for Europe after attacks in London, Stockholm, Berlin and Nice.

UPDATE (3:43PM): ISIS claims responsibly for the attack.

Men's basketball teams from several USA universities, including Oregon State, Clemson and Arizona, were in Barcelona, Spain, when a van drove into pedestrians Thursday in a historic district popular with tourists but school officials said the players and staff were safe.

One person was struck by bullets while the other was hurt as they tried to flee the shooter, who fled the scene. The news agency says he was suspected of having rented a van connected to the attack.

Vehicular attacks have grown increasingly common as weapons of terror.

Here's everything we know so far about the terror attack.

A Vatican spokesman said Pope Francis was praying for the victims and wanted to express his closeness to all Spanish people, especially the victims and their families.

Other reports by AllAboutTopnews

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER