Police confirm 8 killed in Anambra church shooting

Katrina Barker
August 7, 2017

President Muhammadu Buhari has condemned the Ozubulu Church attack in Anambra State by a yet to be identified gunmen, describing the incident as "an appalling crime against humanity and unspeakable sacrilege".

He extended his condolences to families of the victims, assuring them that the government would do everything within its power to track down those responsible.

Gunmen early Sunday morning attacked St Philips Catholic Church AmaKwa Ozubulu in Ekwusigo local government area of Anambra state killing scores of people and wounding several others.

According to the priest, an unidentified man came into the Church, shot at a man, Chief Akunwafor Ikegwuonwu, before shooting sporadically at other worshippers.

Speaking in an interview with TVC News, the Commissioner of Police, Anambra State Command, Garba Umar said the eleven worshippers were shot dead by the gunmen after they missed their target whom they had traced to the Church.

"So far, 12 persons have been confirmed dead and deposited in the mortuary here", a worker at Nnamdi Azikwe University Teaching Hospital told AFP.

"My heart goes to the bereaved at this moment of pain".

Umar said the attack was carried out by a native of the area.

"Such violent incidents dehumanise our society".

The attacker burst into the church during Sunday Mass and initially targeted at least one specific person before opening fire on others, reports said.

"Nobody has the right to kill innocent citizens".

He noted that police had launched a manhunt on those behind the act and gave an assurance that that everybody behind the act would be brought to justice.

Mr. Emecheta, who is the Managing Director of Anambra Signage and Advertisement Agency, ANSAA, said that the losses from the attack were too much for the people to bear.

Other reports by AllAboutTopnews

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER