Explosion rocks Minneapolis school, causes partial collapse

Katrina Barker
August 4, 2017

- He said the active search for the second missing person is a rescue at this point, not a recovery. He says the building is unstable and noted that making it safe for rescuers will take time.

The company did not say how many of its employees were hurt at Minnehaha Academy on Wednesday. The blast partially collapsed a building on the school's campus.

One of the witnesses, Tramor Vanleer said that he was with 5 girls in the gym when the explosion occurred.

The missing employee was identified as John Carlson, a janitor at the school.

Within seconds of the powerful explosion, residents poured onto sidewalks and front lawns, stunned at the burning pile of rubble that moments before was a century old school. Five injured people were taken to the hospital. She had worked at the private Christian school for 17 years.

According to the fire department of Minneapolis, the collapsed building was a Christain school which provides education from pre-KG to 12th grade. City fire officials said the situation would have been far worse if pupils were in class. In addition, 5 people were transported to hospital, 1 of which was treated and released.

Fire crews have spent hours searching through the rubble.

Assistant boys soccer coach Bryan Duffey was hospitalized in critical condition, and two people were in satisfactory condition at Hennepin County Medical Center.

Their blast-related injuries ranged from head trauma and broken bones to cuts and scrapes.

Gov. Mark Dayton issued a statement saying his office was in continuous contact with Minneapolis officials.

One person is dead and another is missing after a natural gas explosion demolished part of a private school in Minneapolis.

Investigators confirmed gas work near the boiler was being done at the time.

School officials said all of the students - some of whom were on the field at the time, and many of whom were in the gym - had been accounted for.

Fruetel said the investigation into the cause of the blast, which was preceded by the announcement of a gas leak, was continuing. One was a longtime receptionist and the other was a custodian at Minnehaha Academy.

"This is a deep, deep loss for us", she said.

Firefighters distinguished a blaze and were looking in the collapsed part of the building for people who might have been trapped, he said.

The school was first founded in 1913 and lists an enrollment of 341 in grades 9-12.

Minneapolis police officers Dean Milner and Vicki Karnik, reached the school within two minutes and found a mound of rubble with flames shooting out.

They exited the building out a back door, and that's when he said he saw how severe it was. "We checked in and offered our assistance ... there were a few people stuck on the roof out here that they were just trying to get away safely".

She and several other neighbors praised the rapid response of fire and police crews.

Other reports by AllAboutTopnews

Discuss This Article