Dutch maker says corroded beam caused OH fairground accident

Katrina Barker
August 8, 2017

The deadly Fire Ball accident at the Ohio State Fair last month was caused by "excessive corrosion", says the ride maker.

A metallurgical inspection of the 18-year-old ride determined why it failed, the company said. Seven others, including Jarrell's girlfriend, were injured when the ride collapsed.

The ride at the OH fair was 18 years old, the company said.

Corrosion on the interior of the support beam reduced the beam's thickness, which led to the accident at the fair, KMG International said in a statement released Sunday.

The Monmouth County Fair in New Jersey immediately shut down a ride similar to the Ohio State Fair's Fire Ball after the incident, ABC station WABC in NY reported. He was about to begin his senior year in high school and had enlisted in the U.S. Marine Corps the week before he was killed. Local Cincinnati news station WCPO reported that Jarell's family plans to file a wrongful death lawsuit. A video of the incident reportedly shows a section of the ride coming apart and screams as two or more people were sent into the air.

KMG says it is working with safety experts to develop an inspection protocol to prevent accidents like this from happening again.

Officials said the Fire Ball ride was inspected hours before the malfunction.

A co-owner of the company that provides rides at the fair in Columbus has said he's certain the ride fell apart because of a mechanical problem.

The company had ordered fair and carnival operators throughout the country to stop using the Fire Ball ride and others like it following the accident at the Ohio State Fair.

Other reports by AllAboutTopnews

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER