China Talks To Nepal About Doklam Standoff, May Conduct 'Small-Scale' Operations Soon

Katrina Barker
August 7, 2017

On Thursday, senior diplomat and China's deputy chief of mission at its embassy in New Delhi Liu Jinsong had said that China had notified New Delhi twice - on May 18 and June 8 - regarding road construction in the area out of goodwill, but that there was no response from India at that time.

"India, which has stirred up the incident, should bear all the consequences".

The article said that the People's Liberation Army (PLA) can easily and effectively destroy Indian troops at Doklam. "Perhaps India is blinded by her regional hegemony and comments of the Western media, and has started believing that it can behave with a country like China in a way she is dealing with countries in South Asia".

Talking about how likely it is for this standoff to develop into a fully fledged military conflict, Gokhale said that the conflict is not inevitable because India-China have a tense border problem, which goes back for decades. No solution will be gained out of war because even after war, talks are required.

"It is a war with an obvious result", the editorial pronounced.

He further said that the Bhutanese asked Indian troops stationed in the area to come and intervene because "Bhutanese alone do not have the strength to withstand Chinese pressure". "But, if a war spreads, the PLA is perfectly capable of annihilating all Indian troops in the border region".

"The government of Prime Minister Narendra Modi should be aware of the PLA's overwhelming firepower and logistics".

The editorial further said, "Modi government's hard line stance is sustained by neither laws nor strength".

Despite China's numerous diplomatic representations, its foreign ministry said, India has not only not withdrawn its troops but has also been making "unreasonable demands" and is not honest about a resolution. "This administration is recklessly breaking global norms and jeopardising India's national pride and peaceful development". "A solution can not be derived out of war", India's External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj said in Parliament on Thursday.

The document says that as of the end of July, more than 40 Indian border troops remained, down from more than 270 with weapons and two bulldozers who advanced more than 100 meters (yards) into Chinese territory on June 16.

While Beijing maintains that the 1890 pact between Great Britain and China on Sikkim and Tibet has "delimited" or settled the boundary along Sikkim, India refers to a 2012 written understanding between special representatives on India-China boundary alignment in the Sikkim sector, and says the 1890 pact is the basis for future agreement for final demarcation of boundary in this region, The Economic Times points out. It argued that since the boundary between the two neighbours at Sikkim Sector had already been delimited by the 1890 convention between United Kingdom and China, the bilateral mechanism led by the Special Representatives had no scope to discuss the current face-off, reports Deccan Herald.

According to the Convention, the Dong Lang area, which is located on the Chinese side of the China-India boundary, is indisputably Chinese territory.

Other reports by AllAboutTopnews

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER