UK Court to Allow Charlie Gard Parents to Present New Evidence

Brandon Parsons
July 12, 2017

A British court has given the parents of terminally ill 11-month-old Charlie Gard a fresh chance to present evidence as to why they should be allowed to take their son to the United States for experimental treatment.

A new hearing is set to begin on Thursday (local time), with parents Connie Yates and Chris Gard given 48 hours to prepare what "new evidence" supporting U.S. treatment.

Whilst debating whether Charlie Gard should be allowed to travel to America to receive experimental treatment for his mitochondrial depletion syndrome, the LBC presenter said that be believes sometimes the doctors get it wrong after his brother recovered from a horrific auto accident.

On Friday, however, GOSH said it had applied for a new court hearing "in light of claims of new evidence relating to potential treatment for his condition".

The application came after both Pope Francis and President Donald Trump brought worldwide attention to the case.

Baby Charlie suffers from a rare genetic condition, an inherited mitochondrial disease generally referred to as MDDS, or mitochondrial DNA depletion syndrome.

They nevertheless called for a new hearing before the British High Court of Justice, deeming it necessary to take into account the "new elements for experimental treatment" proposed by "two worldwide hospitals".

Following the hearing, Gard family spokesman Alasdair Seton-Marsden, said: If Charlie is still fighting, (his parents) are still fighting.

The child's father yelled at a barrister representing the hospital during Monday's hearing, saying "When are you going to start telling the truth?"

There are 18 children currently on this treatment - one of them wasn't able to do anything and now she's riding a bike, she said.

A petition supporting Charlie's right to treatment has garnered around 350,000 signatures and more than 1.3 million pounds ($1.7 million) have been raised online for his case.

The baby's mother, Connie Yates, added: "It's really hard".

"If he's still fighting, we're still fighting", she said. He rejected an attempt by the child's parents to have another judge hear the new evidence.

"I have to decide this case not on the basis of tweets, not on the basis of what might be said in the press, or to the press", Judge Francis said, acknowledging public interest surrounding the case. "I will continue to do my job".

Asked about the impact of their support, Yates said: "It's saved his life so far".

The British government says the treatment would be extremely painful for the baby and would like for him to stay in Britain, but in Dr. Marc Siegel's opinion, the parents should be in charge.

Other reports by AllAboutTopnews

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER