United Kingdom names third attacker as criticism of police cuts grows

Nick Sanchez
Июня 10, 2017

London police have identified two of the three men believed to be responsible for a terror attack in the British capital on Saturday, which killed seven and injured dozens more.

Collina said she had spoken to Italy's anti-terrorism police a year ago after her son was prevented from travelling to the Middle East, and that they were the ones to told her on Tuesday that her son had been one of the men who carried out the attack.

Butt was a trainee customer services assistant on the London Underground and had appeared in the Channel 4 documentary The Jihadist Next Door, in which he was shown unveiling an Isis flag in a London park.

The rampage was brought to an end when the trio were shot dead by armed police eight minutes after the first emergency call.

The Home Office has not commented as there is an ongoing police investigation, while Scotland Yard has said Zaghba, who lived in east London, was not a police or MI5 subject of interest.

Metropolitan Police said detectives believe 22-year-old Youssef Zaghba was the remaining attacker who had not yet been publicly identified. Italian officials said suspicions about him had been shared with British authorities. The parents lived for a time in Morocco before separating when the mother returned to Italy and re-established herself in Bologna.

Redouane was 30 years old and had claimed to be Moroccan and Libyan.

The British Transport Police (BTP) officer was also slashed in the leg and is said to be "seriously unwell" in hospital following Saturday night's attack. Police said Butt was previously known to authorities, but had not been viewed as a serious threat.

Читайте также: Al Jazeera hit by massive hack

Counter-terror agencies are already facing intense scrutiny after it was revealed another member of the terror gang, Khuram Shazad Butt, 27, had been known to security services. Two unidentified men, ages 27 and 29, were arrested on terrorism related charges, while a 30-year-old was apprehended on drug charges.

"There was no intelligence to suggest that this attack was being planned and the investigation had been prioritised accordingly". Police had not any evidence that he is planning for the attack.

If confirmed, Thomas would be the eighth person killed in the vehicle and knife attack. He told the BBC: "People are going to look at the front pages today and they're going to say, 'How on earth could we have let this guy or possibly more through the net?'"

Mr Pigeard, born in Paris, was one of three French victims among the eight people killed in London Bridge.

The Islamic State group has claimed responsibility for the brazen attack that started on London Bridge, then continued in the streets surrounding Borough Market.

Meanwhile, London police have taken down much of the security cordon they initially placed around the crime scene, leaving only Borough Market and some areas nearby still closed.

Opposition leader Jeremy Corbyn, when asked by ITV television if he backed calls for May to resign, said: "Indeed I would".

При любом использовании материалов сайта и дочерних проектов, гиперссылка на обязательна.
«» 2007 - 2017 Copyright.
Автоматизированное извлечение информации сайта запрещено.

Код для вставки в блог

Other reports by

Discuss This Article