Murdered Muslim teen's memorial set on fire in Washington

Katrina Barker
June 24, 2017

Only days after 17 year old Black Egyptian Muslim girl Nabra Hassanen was beaten to death, and a day after a memorial in her honor was set on fire in Washington, D.C., Chicagoans will hold a candlelight vigil to stand in solidarity with her family and community against hate, and to call on Fairfax County, Virginia, officials to investigate her brutal murder as a hate crime.

After the teen's funeral and burial, Fairfax County Police Chief Edwin Roessler Jr. spoke with The Associated Press about the community's concerns. The Metropolitan Police Department said Jonathan Solomon, a 24-year-old from SC, was arrested and charged with "attending or kindling bonfires".

The police acknowledge that many still feel that the attack was a hate crime - their conclusion angered many American Muslims who see attacks against Muslims become increasingly worse in the wake of anti-Muslim rhetoric fuelled by the presidential election campaign.

Authorities confirmed Nabra was subject to the violence twice before her death - once in Loudoun and once in Fairfax - and confirmed they were investigating if there was any sexual assault carried out during the two attacks.

Torres was able to grab Hassanen and began beating her to death with the bat, police said.

Authorities said that after the attack, Torres took Nabra in his auto to a nearby area and continued assaulting her then threw her in a pond where her body was later found.

According to statements from police and the mosque, the girl and her friends were walking back to the All Dulles Area Muslim Society, [ADAMS] mosque from a McDonald's in the Sterling area between 3 and 4 a.m. Sunday when a man drove up and some kind of altercation ensued.

After hundreds of people packed her funeral.

Lamia Sarver of McLean said the tragedy hits home because she has a daughter Nabra's age. A Hassanen family spokesman said the girls in the group were wearing Muslim headscarves and robes.

"'Pray at home, ' I tell her", she said.

Police said 22-year-old Darwin Martinez Torres beat her with a baseball bat after chasing a group of teenagers he encountered in the road on Sunday.

Imam Mohamed Magid of the All Dallas Area Muslim Society mosque where Nabra Hassanen worshipped noted the diversity of the crowd Wednesday evening.

Other reports by AllAboutTopnews

Discuss This Article